If you have problems with our image map navigator, you can use
the Table of Contents to find our pages.
PARAMEDIC JOB DESCRIPTION
NORTHAMPTON REGIONAL EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES, INC.
JOB TITLE: PARAMEDIC / HEALTH PROFESSIONAL
Has the responsibility for the provision of optimum patient care in
accordance with the EMS act of 1985 (Act 45) and all regional guidelines/protocols. Shall
be responsible for the safe operation of all Northampton Regional EMS vehicles in
accordance with current Pennsylvania motor vehicle code.
EDUCATION: High School Graduate or Equivalent.
AGE: Must be twenty-one (21) years of age.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of one (1) year experience as an Paramedic / Health
Professional. 1 year prior EMS experience recommended.
- Certification by the State of Pennsylvania as an Paramedic / Health
- Valid motor vehicle operators license that is not under suspension or
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation certification meeting AHA standards.
- Pre Hospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS) and/or Basic trauma Life Support
(BTLS) certification. Allowable within one (1) ear of employment.
- Certified in HAZ-MAT awareness or equivalent that meets Act 45 or obtain
certification within one (1) year of employment.
- Certified in Emergency Vehicle Operations Course (EVOC) or obtained
within one (1) year of employment.
- Certified and maintains BCLS certification.
- Certified and maintains ACLS certification.
- Certified and maintains PALS certification.
- Must acquire and maintain accreditation by the NREMS medical director.
- Demonstrated evidence of proficiency in the required BLS skills. Must
have thorough current knowledge of medical/traumatic assessments, treatment and protocols.
- Must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working
relations with fellow employees, hospital staffs, ALS units, fire units, rescue squads,
police departments, comm centers, management, QRS service, neighboring BLS units and the
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to handle conflict situations with good judgment,
professionalism and courtesy.
- Must have a working knowledge of the physical layout, street systems, and
demographics of Northampton Regional EMS coverage area.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintains personal knowledge and skills in order to deliver optimum
patient care as an EMT role model for other emergency service personnel.
- Supervises the performance of EMT trainees and other observers on the BLS
- Safely operates vehicles of Northampton Regional EMS in accordance with
the current motor vehicle code of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- Stocks and maintains the BLS vehicles and its contents in a state of
readiness at all times. Maintains the BLS building and its content. Maintains
documentation of the same.
- Works in hazardous environments to insure safety and stabilization of the
- Works with local BLS, ALS, fire and law enforcement agencies as a team
for a coordinated effort on the patients behalf.
- Documents all patient care, assessments, BLS skills and all service
reports in a timely fashion. Documentation shall be legible and accurate.
- Participated ACTIVELY in Regional and NREMS QA.
- Maintains crew vehicles, radios, equipment, supplies and quarters in a
state of readiness twenty-four (24) hours a day, seven (7) days a week.
- When approved and requested, participating in the training and evaluation
of student EMTs.
- shall be punctual and ready for their shift.
- To act at all times in a professional manner and shall be able to handle
conflict situations with good judgment.
- Shall follow the NREMS chain of command.
- Shall act in accordance with NREMS Regional QA programs.
- Provides for ongoing personal growth in BLS and emergency care through
education and maintenance of state requirements for EMT certification, C.P.R., and
- Maintains functional awareness of all regional EMS guidelines/protocols.
- Documents all activities in an acceptable manner.
- Participates ACTIVELY in public awareness and community education
programs related to Northampton Regional EMS.
- Maintains professional appearance of the approved uniform and maintains
hygienic and grooming standards.
- Works on special projects as delegated by the Chief.
- Must be able to collect and record data for use in the field and for
- Must participate in local and regional data collection and quality
assurance programs of the Eastern PA region, and Northampton Regional EMS.
- Needs to communicate tactfully and sensitively to the volunteers of BLS
and ALS squads.
- Shall remain apolitical while representing Northampton Regional EMS.
Shall abstain from any and all political involvement with outside agencies while on duty
or representing Northampton Regional EMS.
- Must speak English clearly and write legibly.
- Must possess basic teaching skills.
- Must be in excellent physical health with no medical disabilities that
would impair our duties as an Emergency Medical Technician.
- Considerable lifting and moving of heavy patients required.
- Will need to extricate some patients in a hazardous environment.
- Work with present considerable hazards, i.e., explosions, anoxic
environments, violent patients and potential fire risks.
- May be required to take physical fitness test or medical exams at the
NREMS expense at anytime during their employment.
SUPPORT MISSION AND PHILOSOPHY OF NORTHAMPTON REGIONAL EMERGENCY
MEDICAL SERVICES, INC.
- Develop a plan for maintaining own professional growth and development.
- Evidence respect for dignity, welfare, basic rights of all patients and
- Maintain a high level of competency within the staff.
This is an approved document as of 11/1997.
Please read our disclaimer
statement before continuing.
Send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or comments
about this web site.
Last modified: June 03, 2000